This fluffy frosting goes great with Carrot Cake, Red Velvet Cake and cinnamon rolls. Mmmmm…cinnamon rolls…. Lauriebell, snap out of it! Sorry about that. The best part about this frosting is it has just a little touch of tang to bounce off its sweet sugary nature. Only a few ingredients gets you a gorgeous frosting to coat your cake in a sacrine cloud!
6 tbsps / 100 g / 3.5 oz butter at room temperature
200 g / 6 oz cream cheese at room temperature (I used light cream cheese because that is what I had and it was fine)
Appx 1.5 lbs / 750 g confections (also called icing or powdered) sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (Only use 1/2 tsp if adding other liquid like orange juice as suggested below)
If making the Carrot Cake recipe the following are optional additions:
Zest of 1/2 orange
Juice of 1/2 orange (make sure it is a sweet orange)
1. In an electric mixer, cream together your butter and cream cheese. For at least 3 minutes on high speed.
2. Add in your icing sugar and continue to cream. Do this a bit at a time. I used a shield but somehow my kitchen is still always covered in sugary snow. Until you’ve added about 1 lb or 500 g.
3. Add the vanilla extract.
4. Add the zest and juice from the orange if making frosting for the Carrot Cake. This step is optional for any cake including the carrot cake recipe.
5. Now you can continue to add more icing sugar as needed until you reach the desired consistency. The frosting should be thick and cling to the spoon or spatula without dripping.
6. Get to frosting your cake, cupcakes, rolls or buns! Depending on how hot it is in your kitchen you may want to chill the dessert for an hour in the fridge until the frosting sets.