Summer is here and it’s time for another nutritious and delicious dish. This spin on tacos gives you a lighter, yet no less satisfying dinner option. Moist chicken, soft tortillas and heaps if veggies make this recipe a winner that your whole family will enjoy. Don’t forget to top with Crunchy Corn Salad!
It’s been six months since my darling daughter was born and it’s now time to get serious about shifting this baby weight. I love Mexican food because it’s so full of flavor and often full of nutritious goodness. So when I decided to get serious about the weight the first place I went was Mexican inspired recipes. Another great Pinterest find, this recipe is inspired by the Chicken Recipe Box recipe blog for Healthy Pan-seared Chicken Breast Tacos.
Skinless chicken breasts or chicken breast strips (At least 1 breast per person)
Mixed bell peppers
Oil (or non-stick spray)
Salt & Pepper
White or Wholemeal tortilla wraps (I used ones that were a blend of 50/50)
Other filling suggestions: Diced red onion, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream, raw bell pepper, arugula and Corn Salsa Salad.
1. Coat your chicken in a bit of oil, salt and pepper and pan sear in a skillet over med-high heat until cooked through or, as I did, roast in pan in the oven on 350 F or 180 C. If roasting, it should take about 30 minutes for breasts and 15 minutes for strips. If using roasting whole breasts use a knife to cut chicken into strips, or use two folks to shred into strips.
2. Cut the onion and peppers into strips, coat with oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven (with the chicken if roast the chicken) until tender.
3. While the chicken, onions and peppers are cooking – assemble your other taco fillings.
4. Chop enough cilantro (coriander in the UK) to add to the chicken, for 4 chicken breast this was about 1 tablespoon.
5. Add the juice of 1 lime to the chicken and cilantro.
6. Pile the chicken onto a platter on top of the onions and peppers.
7. Warm your tortillas in the microwave for 10-30 seconds, depending on how many you are using, and serve as a taco bar. Allow your guests to individualize their meals and have some fun.