I don’t even like bananas but I love this recipe. Have some bananas that you just couldn’t use up fast enough, going brown and soft? Then don’t waste them, revamp them into this soft yummy banana nut bread. But you don’t have any walnuts around the house? No worries you can always omit the nuts.
My lovely sister-in-law has been staying with us while her flat is being renovated. She bought some bananas to help contribute to our bottomless fruit bowl but neither my husband nor I are big banana fans. However, I couldn’t bare to through away 4 bananas, what a waste! Luckily, I had just purchased a pack of walnuts for some chocolate chip cookies I plan to make next week and thought I’d add them together to make a yummy banana bread. This recipe is adapted from a Good Housekeeping test kitchen recipe.
Makes 1 loaf
4 medium ripe (brown) bananas mashed
½ c or 50 g chopped walnuts (optional)
½ c or 100g butter
½ cup or 100 g sugar
½ cup or 100 g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups or or 230 g flour
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
A small bowl of rolled oats (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 F or 160 C.
2. Peel the bananas and chop into 1 inch pieces. Place the pieces in a bowl and mash with a fork.#
3. Chop your walnuts and set aside
4. Add butter, sugar and brown sugar to a medium mixing bowl and beat until creamy. About 3 minutes.
5. Beat in eggs one at a time until each is well incorporated.
6. Beat in vanilla extract.
7. In a medium bowl add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
8. On a slow speed at the mashed banana mixture to the creamed sugar mixture. Until well mixed.
9. Continuing on a slow speed at the flour mixture a bit at a time until just mixed.
10. Continuing on a slow speed add the chopped walnuts and mix for 15 seconds.
11. Grease and lightly flour a loaf pan. Alternatively, you can bake as muffins. Simply place muffin cases in a muffin pan and pour 3/4 of a way into each case.
12. Add the mixture to the pan and pop into the over for 60-70 minutes. A skewer should come away without any wet mixture on it when inserted into the center of the cake. You can also sprinkle the top of the batter with the rolled oats (this was not done with the loaf shown but was done with the muffins at the end of this recipe).
13. Serve warm or cold. Goes great with a pat of cold salty butter.