Among other things, my husband is a very talented musician. As I am writing this he is just fooling around on his guitar and it made me realise how wonderful it is to always have music in the house. Music can make everything better and if I have any recipe that can do the same it is this easy Pasta Carbonara.
I’ve started to notice a trend in my recipes where several of them start with sautéing onions (see Baked Potato Soup, Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken with Vegetable Cream Sauce, Tastiest Ever Mac n Cheese, etc) and this recipe is no different. When you see this step in any recipe you know it is going to be delicious! Pasta Carbonara is a fabulous pasta dish made with a creamy egg based sauce tossed with cheese and bacon. It is embarrassing how much I love cheese and bacon. When I was just a pre-teen I remember telling a friend that I thought cheese and bacon were God’s gift to man…I am only more convinced of that today. This recipe is inspired by the one I found on the Cook It Simply website.
One of the best things about this recipe is that you probably have most of these things in your kitchen. I usually make this when I have not planned a specific meal and just want to make something in a hurry with what I have lying around.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Linguini, conchigilie (mini shells) or penne pasta – dried or fresh
1 medium onion (1/2 large) – diced
1 cup frozen peas – cooked
4 slices of bacon (back or streaky) – diced
1 cup of white cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
- If you are using dried pasta getting your pasta cooking now. Follow the instructions on the packet. However, if you are like me and using fresh pasta wait until later as it will cook much faster.
- Dice the onion and the bacon (I used back bacon) and sauté in the a splash of olive oil in a large pan that is at least 2 inches deep. Do this over a medium to low heat.
- While the bacon and onions are cooking, crack your eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork until well mixed.
- Cook your frozen peas now and keep warm.
- If you have not purchased pre-shredded cheese, shred it now and set aside. If you have fresh pasta cook it now.
- Once the onions are soft and the bacon cooked through add the milk and stir until blended.
- Add the drained pasta to the bacon and onions and give a quick stir to mix it all together.
- While stirring pour in the eggs. Continue stirring to make sure you coat the pasta with the egg and not let it scramble in the bottom of the pan.
- Add the cheddar cheese and stir until melted into the pasta.
- Stir in the peas.
- Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.