My husband and I met online via a social network site by chance and after two months of chatting he came to visit me in the States. During that trip we spent 3 amazing days in New York City falling in love with each other.
Recently we went back to New York City for another little visit. A bartender at our hotel recommended we try Michael Jordan’s Steakhouse in Grand Central Station. I was excited to visit Grand Central but I was not overjoyed at the sounds of a sports star’s steakhouse. I was so very wrong to be concerned.
The restaurant sits up on a balcony overlooking the center of the station with a beautiful view of the constellation ceiling. We both ordered steak and I ordered creamed spinach as my side. Each side dish is enough for at least two people. The spinach was so incredible that it the star of the meal, which was no mean feat considering the steak was delicious. When you coupled the spinach with a bite of steak it was almost like an amazing Bearnaise sauce.
Luckily for me, and you now, the chef posted the recipe in Food and Wine magazine and I was able to find it online.
3 lbs fresh spinach
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot
1 cup heavy or double cream
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup water
Salt and Pepper
- Pour all the spinach into a large saucepan or skillet (at least 2 inches deep). Over a medium to high heat, stirring often, allow the spinach to cook until it has wilted down. This takes about 5 minutes.
- While the spinach is cooking, mince your shallot.
- Remove the spinach to a colander and press/squeeze it to get out as much water as possible.
- Place the cooked spinach on a cutting board and roughly chop.
- In the saucepan add the oil and minced shallots. Adjust temperate if necessary so it does not burn. Cook until golden about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and continue to cook until reduced by half.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the butter & parmesan, mix well and cook for a further 2 minutes.Add the spinach, water and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!