I often do the cooking in my house just because I love it so much but when my husband cooks it is always delicious. His best dish by far is his macaroni and cheese dish that his mum and dad used to make when he was a child. It is comforting, filling and ridiculously tasty.
The key to this recipe is that you need to be able to multi-task. At one time you could be cooking three things on the stovetop.
This is a great meal to serve with a light green such as asparagus or peas or a small rocket (arugula) salad.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Variations: You could add different cheese variations. You could add a crumbly topping such as a mixture of breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs, cheddar and parmesan cheese.
300g or 3.5 cups of pasta (Use a tubular shape such as macaroni, penne, etc. We used lumoconi which was brilliant)
3 hardboiled eggs
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large onion, diced
5 slices of back bacon (UK style bacon) or 6 slices of streaky bacon (US style bacon), sliced into 1 cm wide strips
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons butter
1 ¾ cup or 420 ml milk
2.5 cups or 250 grams of mature or sharp white cheddar cheese
- Hard boil the eggs. You can do this by putting the eggs in a small sauce pot and cover with cold water. Bring the pot to a boil and let boil for about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and run under cold water until the eggs have cooled.
- While the eggs boil, put a large pot of water on high heat. Once it has begun to boil add the pasta and cook as directed on the package.
- While the water is coming up to the boil for your pasta, dice your onion and slice up your bacon.
- In a large frying pan, heat some Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium-high heat.
- Toss in the onions and bacon and cook until the bacon has cooked through completely and the onions are translucent and almost completely cooked.
- Take the onions and bacon off the heat and keep to the side.
- Over medium heat in a medium saucepan melt 3 tablespoons butter.
- Add the flour and stir quickly and continuously until completely incorporated.
- Add the milk a splash at a time while continuously stirring the mixture, until you’ve added all the milk.
- Continue stirring while you add 2 cups of the cheese (keep a half cup of cheese behind).
- Once the cheese is completely melted into the sauce, season with salt and pepper, then let it simmer until it has thickened, stirring occasionally. Once the sauce is thick enough to coat the spoon, your sauce is done. You should be able to run your finger over the spoon and leave a clean line.
- At this point, your eggs should be boiled, your onions and bacon cooked and your pasta ready to drain.
- Turn of the heat for the sauce and the pasta and turn your oven grill on.
- Drain your pasta thoroughly and return to the pot.
- Add your onions and bacon.
- Pour your cheese sauce over the pasta and mix well.
- Peel the shells from the eggs and cut each into quarters.
- Place them in the bottom of a baking dish (about 2 inches deep). I used one that was about 8 in x 6 in.
- Pour the pasta and cheese mixture over the eggs.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the pasta.
- Place the pasta under the grill until the cheese on top goes bubbly and slightly brown.
- Serve and enjoy!