I am feeling a little homesick because my best friend and her husband pulled away in a cab this morning to return to the States after visiting me and my husband for 10 days in London. While she was here I was off my diet a bit but I was also walking for at least 5 hours a day while she was here.
One example of how I “fudged” my diet was with this flourless chocolate cake that we had for dessert on Easter. My best friend is on a gluten-free diet due to an allergy and I wanted her to feel like she was not missing out on anything. To this day I have not made a homemade sponge cake (made with flour) to my satisfaction but this cake was amazing. It was fudgy but not too heavy. So if I want to make a decent cake I just have to remove the flour!
Serves: 16 slices
Cooking time: 45 min – 1 hour
Variations: Next time I might put a layer of cherry filling in the batter to make a black forest variation or some juicy cranberries.
1 cup or 227 grams butter
8 oz (1/2 lb) semi-sweet or dark chocolate
1 ¼ or 312 grams sugar
1 cup or 82 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
6 large eggs
1. Preheat over to 350˚F or 180˚C.
2. Grease your cake pan, I used a 10″ round. Remember you do not want to flour your pan if you are serving someone with a gluten allergy. I also put parchment paper on the bottom and greased it.
3. Combine cocoa and sugar in a large bowl and set aside.
4. Use a bain-marie or a glass bowl over a sauce pot with water to melt the chocolate and butter together over a low heat. If you using bars of chocolate instead of morsels make sure to break up the chocolate to help it melt faster.
5. In a separate bowl whisk together 6 eggs until well beaten and add to the cocoa and sugar mixture with a whisk.
6. Slowly pour the melted chocolate mixture into the egg and cocoa mixture, whisking until well combined.
7. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake in the oven until tested with a toothpick that comes out clean.
8. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before attempting to remove from the dish.
9. Once completely cooled you can get creative such as dusting it with icing sugar and topping with a season treat like chocolate easter eggs or topping it with some ripe raspberries and freshly made sweet cream. Serve and enjoy!