These oh-so-tasty and oh-so-easy homefries help lift the routine breakfast to something that is personal, comforting and filled with flavor. The amazing smell of the peppers and onions fills the kitchen and makes your mouth water in preparation for the first tasty bite. We love to enjoy these with eggs and ham.
Serves: 2-3 servings
Cooking time: 25-35 minutes
Variations: If you have left over baked potatoes you can use those instead of boiling fresh potatoes. Just remove the skins and cube and then start with Step 4.
2-3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1x1cm cubes
Knob of butter
Extra virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
- Boil water and put the cubed potatoes in the pot.
- Boil until they are almost cooked through but just a bit firm.
- Strain potatoes and run under cold water until completely cooled. Set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium heat melt butter with enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the diced peppers and onions and sautee for 5 minutes or until they go soft and not burnt.
- Mix in the potatoes.
- Do not stir the mixture for 6 minutes. If you over stir it will cause the potatoes to mash.
- Mix the homefries to bring the browned potatoes to the top and leave again for 6 minutes.
- Repeat step 8.
- Add at least 2 palm fulls of paprika and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.